A step-by-step guide to your first installation and wireless presentation with Airtame 2
Now that you’ve received your brand new device, it’s time to get it up and running. The end goal of this article is for you to have Airtame 2 connected to your local network (via WiFi, Ethernet or both) so that anybody on that same network can present wirelessly to Airtame. Download pdf
What you need before setting up
- Airtame 2 (and all accessories from the box)
- The display (e.g. TV or projector) that you will equip with Airtame
- WiFi network (or Ethernet connection)
- Laptop (Windows, MacOS, Linux)*
*The initial setup is not possible from a mobile device or Chromebook.
Physically installing the device
- Connect the two ends of the Aircord splitter into the power supply and the HDMI port of the display, respectively. Always use the provided power supply.
- Place the magnetic wall mount onto the back of the Airtame device.
- Connect the USB-C (remaining end of the Aircord) to the Airtame.
- Choose one of the following options for placing the Airtame:
- For a permanent installation, you will need to peel the red stickers off the back of the wall mount, as well as the back of the Aircord splitter, in order to secure them to the wall (there is a strong adhesive underneath the stickers). Mount the Airtame 2 on the wall approx. 10cm/4” from the edge of the display.Only remove the stickers before permanently sticking the device to the wall.
- For a non-permanent installation, simply place the Airtame and Aircord splitter onto the back of the display’s edge. Most TVs have a magnetic frame, so the magnetic force will keep everything in place. In this case, do not peel off the red stickers.
- For a non-permanent installation with a projector, place the device on top (in a spot that does not heat up when the projector is in use).
Configuring your Airtame 2
Congrats, your Airtame 2 is now installed! You should be seeing a “Present Wirelessly” message on your Airtame-equipped display, with the name of your new device (starting with “airtame-oob”). If you don’t see this message, try changing the HDMI input on your display until you’ve found the right one.
“Configuring” refers to setting up the different characteristics of a device, including how it’s connected to a local network. This is the purpose of these next steps.
- Download the Airtame application here. Please remember that you will need to use the application on a Macbook, Windows or Linux computer for the initial setup.
- Open the application, and click the Set up button next to the name of your new device.
- In the in-app setup, select a name for your Airtame.
- You will now be prompted to connect the Airtame to your network (via WiFi or Ethernet).
To connect via WiFi, select your network from the WiFi list and choose 5GHz over 2.4GHz if available.
Click “Connect” and enter your computer’s user password to allow Airtame to temporarily switch to Airtame’s own hotspot to transfer this configuration. Once the setup is done, your computer connects back to your local WiFi.
A confirmation message will show on the Airtame-equipped display, stating that the Airtame is now on your local WiFi. A new IP address will also be visible on the display.
To connect via Ethernet, it’s best to connect the Ethernet adapter and cable before clicking on the “Set up” button in the app.
When connected to the Ethernet adapter as shown in the above image, an IP address will appear on the display automatically.
Once you click the “Set up” button in the app and have given the device a name and selected Ethernet, name the Ethernet connection the same as the SSID it is connected to. If you’re unsure of what the SSID is, check with your IT administrator.
For more info on setting up with Ethernet (including how to have a simultaneous Ethernet + WiFi setup), click here.
Start your first presentation with Airtame 2
Now that your device is connected to the local network, just take a minute to double check that your computer is also back on the local network (and not still connected to Airtame’s own hotspot).
To start mirroring your computer screen:
- Open the Airtame app.
- Find your device in the list or enter its IP address.
- Click the “Share screen” button next to the name of your new Airtame.
- When you are done, return to the app panel and click “Stop” to finish the stream.
- If you want to mirror a specific window (e.g. a document or browser), click “Share window” in the app, and then click on the desired window. Click “Stop” to end the presentation.
- To play sound from your display’s speakers instead of your laptop, click on the audio icon that will appear in the app panel once you’ve starting presenting.
- To present to more than one Airtame at a time, you can:
- Click “Share screen” next to multiple devices in the app, or
- Click “Share window”, select your desired window, and then go back to app to click “+ Add screen” (and repeat this for any additional Airtames).
Now that you’ve set up an Airtame 2 and tested out streaming, you can begin to show others how it’s done. Click here for our guides to helping colleagues use Airtame.
In addition to using Airtame for presentations, you can also use it as a digital signage solution. Click here to find out how to set a custom background to be shown on your Airtame-equipped display when idle.
You can reach out to our support team via our live chat at airtame.com, or send an email to email@example.com. We are always happy to assist!